BECTU, the organisation behind Creative Toolkit is committed to providing accessible services for everyone. We want to ensure that everyone can use this site.
New media technologies are always developing and changing at a fast pace, however, we are committed to the following accepted principles in website development. We aim to:
- Comply with accessibility standards in commissioning, editorial, design and coding; these standards include the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative.
- Design for use with assistive technologies: our online media should work well with technologies such as software page readers.
- Carry out appropriate testing: we have undertaken User Acceptance Testing prior to launch and will continue to work with real users with different needs to ensure that any problems are identified and solutions developed to solve them.
- Respond to innovation and adopt new ways of making online media accessible.
The accessibility guidelines we are committed to include:
- Using an easy to read web font type.
- Ability for users to control text sizes via browser.
- Ensuring suitable foreground and background colour contrast on text
- Using clear and simple grammar.
- Providing meaningful alternative text equivalents for pictures.
- Providing a straight forward and consistent site navigation.
- Ensuring the target of each link is clearly defined.
- Providing a sitemap.
- Using appropriate structural mark-up to maximise browser support.
- Ensuring all content and functionality is available to users without content style sheet (CSS), image and script support.
Although we are testing this site on an ongoing basis, it is your user experience which counts. Do contact us to report areas of difficulty or if you would like to comment generally.